10 Jun 2014

UK Meet 2014 - Bristol (Part 2 of 2)

Welcome back to the UK Meet write-up. If you missed part 1, you can read it here. To recap, I concluded the last post with the bookfair on the Saturday evening. We chilled out for a short while, before the next event was up. Quite a few people got dressed up for an evening meal with entertainment from a drag queen, lesbian choir, and the almost-naked waiters you've probably seen posted around Facebook over the last couple of days, whose only clothes were a black apron.

I stayed for the free champagne, of which I had more than a couple of glasses, and then moved on to a round-the-world buffet, with Poppy, Val, and Patrick Darcy. A small group of us then decided to head for some drinks at one of the local gay bars, O.M.G.


The first thing we noticed upon entering was a mechanical claw game that included some rather interesting prizes. As well as the usual stuffed bears, there were condoms, vibrators, and... Well, I'll just show you the picture. You can't miss the jackpot prize!
Jackpot!

We were also shocked by the inclusion of a unisex toilet. Val made quite the discovery on her first visit. There was no toilet attendant at that time, and apparently a couple of guys had decided to take advantage of that by doing some very naughty things in the corner. Shame I missed it.

The night was filled with many drinks, and a lot of dancing. Marc Fleischhauer and I left the club at around five a.m. This time, I did not make it up for breakfast that morning. It was eleven a.m. by the time I ventured out into the land of the living and rejoined the conference to listen to a panel on things to beware of when signing contracts.

After that I helped out for a while at the Wilde City table selling books and talking to a few readers. We were then treated to the comedy stylings of Aleks Voinov as he gave his keynote speech, and then the closing panel, during which the attendees gave their feedback. Once more I was overwhelmed with the number of people who commented on how much they enjoyed the BDSM panel.

With the final event finished, there were many hugs and farewells as many of us prepared to leave the hotel. Some of us went home with lighter suitcases, though in Violet's case she had a much heavier load from all the books she bought.

We set off for the drive back to Liverpool, making a quick stop at a service station along the way. I slept over at Val's that night, before being driven to the train station for lunch and a final farewell this afternoon. And then it was really over. I loved every minute of it, and I'll be eagerly awaiting GRL when I can meet back up with friends, old and new.

Now, to mention some of the great people I've met who haven't yet been mentioned:

- Dani Elle Maas - It was a pleasure to meet you, and I look forward to many more interactions in the future. Talk to you soon for the blog tour.

- Rachel Maybury - So nice to put a name to the face I've seen all over my Facebook feed for the last couple of months. Hope to see you again soon.

- Marc Fleischhauer - Had a lot of fun on the Saturday night, and was glad to have company for my night out. No one would stay out until 5 a.m. with me last year!

- Charlie Cochrane - Thank you for the codeine, as always. I know I can always count on you for medication.

- Liam Livings - I know we met briefly last year, but it was nice to sit down and have a good chat with you. Wishing you the best of success with your recent release, and many more to come I'm sure. You're gonna be fabulous.

- Beverley Jansen - Nice to finally meet you in person. Maybe next time you'll join us for the night out :)

And there are many others I've talked to throughout the weekend. You're not forgotten, and I hope we'll get to see each other again soon. Until then, stay safe.

Just as a quick sidenote, I wanted to do a subtle bit of self-promotion. Okay, maybe not-so-subtle then. Slasherazzi is due out tomorrow, and I'm so excited that I'm going to be visiting a number of blogs over the next two weeks to share excerpts, and posts about the book. I will be posting the schedule tomorrow on release day, as well as kicking off the first of two giveaways. I hope you'll join me there to celebrate.

And with that, I bid you all farewell from The Kaine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis