25 Oct 2014

GRL 2014: Part 2

If you haven't read part 1, you can find it here.

So, Friday morning. I started off the day at 6:30am with a trip to the pool. As mentioned in my last post, I'm a bit of a water baby. I could literally have spent all day in there, if not for the fact that I'd only had about 4 hours sleep. I had a lovely swim in the main pool, and then a good bit of relaxation in the hot tub before I finally managed to drag myself away from the water and back to the room to get ready for the day's events.

Breakfast once again consisted of sausage and maple syrup, along with some french toasty kinda things. I seriously just started drizzling everything in maple syrup. God, I love that stuff. But enough about me stuffing my hole with sticky sausages...

That morning I just kinda chilled out, spent some time by the fireplace and talked to people. Then it was off to the Booksellers room for another hour behind the Wilde City table. By this point I believe I had about 5-6 copies of my book left, and those didn't last long. I still can't believe I was the first person at the table to sell out. It's such an amazing feeling. While there, I picked up a copy of Red Rose (Blood) by Michael Kudo. From the first two chapters I knew this was going to be my kind of book.

I had Michael sign the book for me. I'm still a little confused as to whether he's telling me that I rock, or that I'm a cock. *sticks tongue out at Michael*

Later that day I took part in the Author Lounge, which kinda turned into a mini booksigning, though I understand that wasn't really the intention. I got sat next to Clare London with her bowl of candy, and we had readers sitting down on the other side of the table for a good natter.

I can't even remember what I did for the rest of that afternoon. Probably sat about somewhere, maybe even had a nap. I do like my naps, as the rest of my roomies will attest to. I believe this was the night a group of us went to the Shiraz restaurant. I had a lovely Tuna steak.

That evening was the Casino Royale event. I'm the type of person who gets really into gambling, and that's why I stay the fuck away from it when it involves real money. Give me five-hundred fake dollars, though, and it's a different story.

We started off with a game of poker, where at one point I ended up with about seventy dollars left in my pot. Somehow I managed to pull that back and ended up leaving the table with over three-thousand. I so wish that had been real money now. Then Amy and I decided to try out the blackjack tables. We settled with the single most awesome dealer in the history of casinos. I think he was out for a bit of fun too, given that the money wasn't real. In the end I finished the night with a little under six-thousand dollars. Yeah, totally wish that was real money. So I cashed in my chips for tickets, and I won... nothing from the raffle. D'oh! But, all in all, it was a really good night.

Rather than go to the after party, a group of us ended up playing Cards Against Humanity by the fireplace. I can honestly say I've never laughed so hard, and so much, in my entire life. There were big black cocks, vaginas so large they take you into another dimension, and queefing. Poor Whitney still can't live down the fact that her phone makes queefing noises. Well, that was her excuse anyway.

So it was another late night for a lot of us. And still, I somehow managed to get up out of bed around 6am to head to the gym, and then the pool again. Saturday morning was a lot more relaxed. As usual I started my day with a helping of sticky protein - lots and lots of sausage. Hi, my name's Daniel and I'm an addict. Then we hung out around the fireplace.

Then I headed over to the Good Cop, Bad Cop, Drunk Cop event, with the awesomesauce, SA Mcauley, SJD Peterson, and Abigail Roux. There I managed to pick up a couple of alcoholic drinks, including kinky liquor and glazed doughnut vodka. Also won a copy of Crack The Darkest Sky Wide Open.

That afternoon it was on to the book signing event. Normally I hate these kind of things because in my day-to-day life I hate being in the spotlight. But last year Abigail Roux taught me a valuable lesson; take alcohol with you! So I took my shot glasses, and someone even donated a mini bottle of baileys to my cause. So, with those in hand I made it through the three hours, and even had a lot of fun.

You can just see the top of the alcohol bottles in front of my pepsi bottle.

I even made up a little game on my laptop for someone to win a copy of Slasherazzi. It took almost the full event, but eventually the copy was won.

Then came the last major event of the week - the time travel costume party. I only stayed briefly, but it was great fun seeing everyone dressed up. I wasn't in a costume mood this year, so I went with my standard snarky t-shirt and claimed to be sent back from the future to prevent the apocalypse. I even managed to pick up a balloon friend at one point. That guy was seriously clingy and would just follow me around by sticking to my t-shirt. The official story was that he was some alien lifeform I'd picked up while travelling through the vortex. Kinda makes me sound like the thirteenth doctor, or something.

Judging by the amount of wine I was drinking in the short time I was at the costume party, my plans to prevent the apocalypse were not going well at all. Gotta say though, that Cockwalk wine was really nice. Thanks to whoever was going round handing it out.

So, as mentioned, I left the party early to go do other things, and ended up back at my room at 3am. Not surprisingly, Amy had only just returned also. I had even less sleep that night than any other, waking up at around 7am for my last swim in the pool. This was followed by the farewell breakfast. I hate this part so much, as it means saying goodbye to so many great people that I know I won't get to see for another year.

After that, it was time to pack up and head back home. After several hours stuck at Chicago airport, and then even more waiting at Heathrow to be rebooked on a new flight to Manchester, having missed the connecting flight, I finally made it back to my car. Then began the epic drive home that lasted way longer than it should have, due to my decision to stop in Leeds for some food.

Now, anyone who has been to Leeds will know that they have a one-way traffic system throughout the city centre. And it is a nightmare. I spent almost an hour just trying to find my way out of the city and back onto the motorway. This process was not helped by the fact that my phone battery had died and so I couldn't use my GPS until it had recharged a little.

I finally made it home on Monday, around 5pm UK time. And then after an hour or so, I crashed. Hard. I slept for around 15 hours.

Well, that pretty much covers my time at GRL. I'm sure there's probably loads of bits I missed out, but there was so much going on that much of it is a blur to me. All I can say is I can't wait for San Diego, and I'll be putting in plenty of overtime at work to get the money together for it. I'm going to do one last post about GRL in general in the next few days, so watch out for that. Until then...


Diana said...

I really had such a wonderful time at GRL this year too. It was really nice seeing you again Daniel. I've decided to get a copy of Slasherazzi and read quickly through the gory parts because I've heard so many good things about it. I'm so looking forward to San Diego next year, it'll be a blast, see you then!

Post a Comment